Sunday, June 10, 2007

Wonderwall

The CBC completed its Seven Wonders of Canada contest last week. The final list of Seven Wonders was decided by a panel of judges. It seems a bit strange to me that a panel of judges could overrule the online votes of the nation but there is really no way to police the online voting so I could have voted for Pamela Anderson's boobs a thousand times.

As it is they came up with a good list. I am sad that they did not find space for the Northern Lights or the Vimy Memorial (it's Canadian soil after all) but you can't please everyone. There is a good mix of nature and history and invention. The canoe remains my favourite choice.

Looking at the list it is clear that they made sure not to offend any region. I think they could skirted that problem entirely if they had just named the Trans-Canada highway as a wonder. It is the longest highway in the world and is truly Canada's main street. I have travelled (most of) its distance on three occasions and can think of no better way to get a feel for this vast country that we call home. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Shit...why didn't I vote.

The people's poll list the Bay of Fundy as the third highest vote getter but if I had to pick something close to home I would pick the sunset on the St.John River. Here's one from the weekend.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home