Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Fire Coming Out of a Monkey's Head

I missed this over the weekend when it was new news but I was sad to learn today the Dennis Hopper died. He was in a great career's worth of movies including Hoosiers which is one of my favourites, not to mention one of the top 5 best sports movies of all time. He played a drunk which was a common theme for him and potentially not that much a departure from reality. A lot of his roles may have been easy for him to play; he typically played a hippie, a rebel or an nutbar which seems to match his off-screen persona. He was very funny though. I wasn't born when Easy Rider came out but the perfect age when he hosted Saturday Night Live and parodied it in the opening in '87 (sadly nowhere to be found on the internet). It was one of my all time favourite SNL skits when SNL was really great. I liked Dennis Hopper from that moment on and loved him after playing Shooter.

He was one of Hollywood's great characters and got his long-overdue star on the walk of fame just this year. He died of prostate cancer reminding me once again to quickly state Fuck Cancer.

Here is a good tune with hime talking:

RIP Dennis Hopper.

Pace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home