Friday, June 11, 2010

Wavin' Flag

The Stanley Cup playoffs ended on Wednesday night with the Blackhawks happily beating those damn Flyers. It was good to see the Cup go to an Original Six team and not to those insufferable bastards in Philly (fans and players alike). It was a great playoffs thanks, almost entirely for me, to a nice deep run from the Habs. It was probably flukey and I'm guessing that Jaro Halak is more Penney than Dryden or Roy - although praying otherwise, unless they don't resign him. It was fun to care again though, and this CBC montage will serve to remind me for a while to come:

And now, starting today in fact, sporting attention turns (or in most cases stays with) the World Cup in South Afica. It is the biggest sporting event in the World. That is to say that more of the world watches it than anything including the Olympics. I will be watching but not like I watch the Stanley Cup. I have no vested interest in who wins. Canada is not there so there is no National pride on the line. I will hope for the underdogs and I will hope for the teams that play the game right, have the fewest divers, and don't generally look like idiots. The last one is tough because they are, after all, soccer players. ;)

Canada may not be there but we do have a role to play. (One of) the official theme for the World Cup is Wavin' Flag by K'Naan who is Canadian. Hey at least it's something:

Pace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home