Monday, July 09, 2007

Back In The Saddle

...and with that it's over. My first ever vacation went by in the blink of an eye. I guess that is to be expected; time flies when you are drinking rum as they say (or something like that).

Here is the short version of "What I did on my summer vacation":

I had a big Canada Day; we played a game (a disapointing lost to TO) and had the obligatory post game fun afterwards. They didn't spend the night but did stay long enough to know that we have it pretty good down here. The party went on late into the evening (morning?) and that made for a slow Monday. Nevertheless I was able to pull myself out of be and pack the car for a trip to Mount Carleton.

If you picture the province of New Brunswick you should be able to picture a vast and empty center once directly North of Freddy. Well in the center of that vast expanse site Mount Carleton, the highest peak in the Maritimes and Newfoundland (higher than Gros Morne; check it out). I had never been and wanted to cross this one off my list. It was everything I expected and maybe a little more. Maybe because I had a pretty sweet tour guide courtesy of Hockey New Brunswick (that's jut how they roll). Here's a picture of her on top of my world:
Wednesday I relaxed and got my fill of reggae beats. It was the perfect warmup for a slow trip to PEI to visit Mom at South Lake. Sarah and I drove over arriving just in time for dinner (I have always been blessed with this talent). We didn't do a damn thing which was just about perfect. The next day we went for a long drive looking at properties that Mom would like to own and I would like to have pictures of in my living room one day. The weather didn't cooperate for most of the day but just before dinner it cleared up and I got to go for a paddle in the South Lake and found my way to the dunes on the far side of the lake. They are inaccessible except by boat or through private property. That being the case, when I got out of the canoe and walked the beach for an hour I didn't see another soul. Here is a shot from the top of one of the dunes:On the left of the picture is South "Lake" on the right is the Norhthumberland "Strait". The beach at South Lake is now battling with Long Beach in Pac Rim National Park for the top spot on my list of favourite beaches in Canada.

After another kick ass dinner the three of us went for another beach walk on the Singing Sands of Bothwell Beach which was equally sweet, although much busier with at least a dozen people crowding the place.

Saturday we hit the road again this time taking the long way (relatively speaking; it is PEI after all, there is no real long way) to Charlottetown to visit my grandparents. We all went out for a great meal at the Culinary Instistute (food school for us laymen) which offers what has to be the best view in PEI. After dinner we considered a night on the town in Charlottetown but a)I thought that to top my vacation I would do what I would not normally do on a Saturday night and b)well...it's Charlottetown.

Sarah and I hit the road home Sunday am and I feeling healthy from all my Vitamins (M, F, R, SS, etc.). I made it home to Freddy in time to spend time with my rugby family at the Loyalist Family day. It was a great time and a great way to end my vacation.
So all in all a very relaxing week. I think if given then opportunity I would probably do one of these vacations again.

Pace out.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, July 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you guys made it over for your whirlwind tour. Sorry about the hordes of people on the beach...see you soon in NB. Ma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home